Saturday, February 25, 2012

Digging for Dreams

http://sparklefauxdesigns.com/
“What is right for one soul may not be right for another. That is why it is important that you seek your own inner direction and act on it without trying to follow in anyone else's footsteps. You have free choice, for I have given all human beings free will. You are not like a puppet that cannot move without having the strings pulled. You can seek and find what is right for you, and then it is up to you what you do about it. You only find real peace of heart and mind when you follow what you know is right for you, so seek and go on seeking until you have found your specific way and then follow it. It may mean having to stand on your own and do something strange in the eyes of others, but be not daunted. Do whatever it is because you know within that it is right for you and that only the very best will come out of it.”  Eileen Caddy, Findhorn Founder.


Digging
I really like this word.  I like the different meanings.  I’m digging a hole to plant a flower.  I really dig this music.  I dig your new hair cut.  I’m digging in my purse for the grocery list.  I’m digging for buried treasures.  Okay let’s dig in (said by my relatives after grace has been said).  I’m digging into important work.  Like all cool positive words – dig has a dark side.  You can dig into someone by bullying and harassing them.  Unusually, their digging is a mechanism to make you change because you’re different or on a different path from them.  Often, their digging is because if you change – they may have to change.  Some people don’t dig change.

Poet Elizabeth Alexander describes words like ‘digging’ as shimmering words.  They are words that feel interesting in your mouth.  They’re fun to say.  Personally, I like how the word digging starts in the front of my mouth, hits the middle, then the back and finally goes forward out to the world.  (D – i- g- ing).  It feels like breathing. 

One of my favorite poems is “Digging” by Seamus Heaney.  The narrator of this poem writes listening to his father dig.  The narrator is respectful of his father and grandfather’s work.  Personally, I’m well aware of how hard it is to dig and turn my 20’x16’ community plot for vegies by hand.  I like the physical feeling of the shovel in my hands and the sound as the metal blade striking the soil or in my case, Ohio clay.  I feel like I’m doing something.

Dreams are like that.  You need to dig for them – dig down deep for them like an archeologist carefully unearthing a shard of pottery.  Finally, you need to actively pursue them even if others don’t dig them, because these dreams are right for you.

~#~

(I’ve included a Youtube link – I dig hearing Seamus Heaney read his Digging poem)

Between my finger and my thumb
The squat pen rests; as snug as a gun.

Under my window a clean rasping sound
When the spade sinks into gravelly ground:
My father, digging. I look down

Till his straining rump among the flowerbeds
Bends low, comes up twenty years away
Stooping in rhythm through potato drills
Where he was digging.

The coarse boot nestled on the lug, the shaft
Against the inside knee was levered firmly.
He rooted out tall tops, buried the bright edge deep
To scatter new potatoes that we picked
Loving their cool hardness in our hands.

By God, the old man could handle a spade,
Just like his old man.

My grandfather could cut more turf in a day
Than any other man on Toner's bog.
Once I carried him milk in a bottle
Corked sloppily with paper. He straightened up
To drink it, then fell to right away
Nicking and slicing neatly, heaving sods
Over his shoulder, digging down and down
For the good turf. Digging.

The cold smell of potato mold, the squelch and slap
Of soggy peat, the curt cuts of an edge
Through living roots awaken in my head.
But I've no spade to follow men like them.

Between my finger and my thumb
The squat pen rests.
I'll dig with it.

~#~

I Forgot How to Dream Activity:
Materials needed:
Pencil and paper
15 minutes
Directions: Look at this picture.  What do you see?  What do you think happened to the people that use to live there?  Why did this home get abandoned?  If you had this home what would you do?




(You just made up a story – I just caught you dreaming)  The main point of this exercise is to set side time to allow yourself to dream.  If you are rushing here and there – how are you going to find time to dream?  The key to getting your dreams is seeing yourself in the story.  To see yourself as the main character. 

Creating a Kick Ass Bucket List or Big Dream List
Materials needed:
A small notebook that has at least 50 pages and a pen
15 minutes

Step One:  On each page write one thing you would like to do before you die – think big.  Don’t think about how you are going to do it.  Just write the idea.  Don’t think about money, time etc….. just write the idea.  Think Big.  Career change? Trips? Marathon completion? Hiking a specific mountain? Graduate School or certificate completion, paint the dining room.  You can do this!!!!

Step Two:  Go through the book and pick two and set a deadline for doing them.


Step Three:  I believe in goals that are positive.  Meaning creating something positive.  Example: I want to eliminate self doubt.  I would change this to:  I have self-confidence.  OR I want a new home.  I would change this to: My home is by a stream and I feel comfortable and safe in it.

Step Four:  Develop a plan on how you intend on doing it. 
Example:  I am holding my 50th Birthday Party at Phantom Ranch.  Research cost for hiking down the Grand Canyon – for friends who may want to go on the mule find out cost or friends who want the mule to carry everything down and how much it cost to stay in the cabins or tents, how much does it cost for the meals.  Invite friends and family.  Save money.  Training Schedule.  Hiking and surviving the Grand Canyon.  Deadline: May/June 2013

~#~
Digging a New Dream Ritual


Materials needed: 
A place to hold a ritual - or candles to burn undisturbed.
A small pot with dirt
Watering pot with water
Flower or herb seeds (I usually use nasturium seeds which I pre-soak)
Orange candle and holder with matches.
Rosemary essential oil
Paper and pencil


Creat your alter.  Bless the space and create a circle depending on your tradition.  I like to bring in Great Motherfather Spirit into the place, the Archangels and the elements.  Do what is right for you.


On the paper write your dream/goal.  Meditate seeing yourself having the goal.  What does it look, hear, taste and feel like?


Dig a hole into the dirt and plant the paper.  Cover it up.  Next take three seeds and plant them into the pot and cover them up.


With the candle.  I mark the candle with rune markings:  Thurisaz (Beginning new projects), Ansuz (Wisdom and attracting others to my cause), Algiz (protection, success).  Again, use the symbols that you feel is right for your cause.  Next bless the candle with rosemary oil.  Meditate on seeing yourself having this goal. Ask the Great Motherfather Spirit for blessings.  And then light the candle.


Water the flower pot saying:  I nurture these seeds as I nurture my dream.  May my dreams be made real with your help.

Open the circle by thanking those spirits who you asked to be with you.

Allow the candle to burn out. 

Nurture the plant.  Work on the steps towards your dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi all - I really like your comments, but have had a change of heart regarding anonymous comments. My CCWWW beliefs are that you need to stand behind what you say and what you do. Peace out.