Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lenten Observation as a Celtic Christian Wise Witchy Woman

For those who aren’t familiar with Lent, in the Christian Church calendar it occurs 40 days before the celebration of Easter.  You have probably heard your Christian friends say they are giving up something for Lent – Chocolate, candy, ice cream…. 

When I started this journey as a CCWWW I felt this tradition was really superficial.  So I’m giving up something.  At least for me, it was easy to give up something for 40 days (i.e., a month and 10 days).  I tried fasting on Friday during Lent, but still it really didn’t do anything to me.  This self-denial didn’t bring me closer to Motherfather Spirit or make me a better human being. 

In looking at this time, I began to see it more in lines with the Jewish tradition of celebrating Yom Kipper.  Specially, I found myself looking at this time to self-reflect, meditate and being in conversation with Motherfather Sprit in order to seek atonement, forgiveness for my behavior against myself and against others. 

As a peacemaker, it finally hit me:  how can I call myself one if I am carrying something around in my heart that happened in Kindergarten 43 years ago?  (its true)  My Lenten prayers to Motherfather Sprit are for healing my heart’s anger, frustration and bitterness that this person caused me.  My prayers are for liberation and asking for a new way to respond to people who disappoint and wound my heart.  In a sense I put the person and their behavior back in Motherfather Spirit court, the ultimate judge.

My activity on Ash Wednesday:  I create a 40 day prayer list of people who I carry around – people who have wounded my heart.  Each day I pray the Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi thinking about that person and giving them up to the Motherfather Spirit.  I ask that my heart will be healed making me a better peacemaker.

Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi
Creator, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.


O Divine Motherfather Spirit, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi all - I really like your comments, but have had a change of heart regarding anonymous comments. My CCWWW beliefs are that you need to stand behind what you say and what you do. Peace out.