Monday, July 23, 2012

Open to the Spirit


SARK Poster
“Then Miriam the prophetess, Aaron's sister, took a tambourine in her hand, and all the women followed her, with tambourines and dancing. Miriam sang to them: "Sing to the LORD, for he is highly exalted. The horse and its rider he has hurled into the sea." Exodus 15: 20-21, Bible

“David and all Israel were celebrating with all their might before the Lord, with castanets, harps, lyres, timbrels, sistrums and cymbals…..  Wearing a linen ephod, David was dancing before the Lord with all his might.”  2 Samuel: 6:5, 14. Bible

“Joy is the grinning inside.”  ~Melba Colgrove

“Joy is the holy fire that keeps our purpose warm and our intelligence aglow” ~ Helen Keller




Miriam Dancing
Growing up in the Christian tradition I heard a lot about feeling the spirit move you.  People were quick to give me of examples such as Miriam, King David or the disciples feeling the fire at Pentecost.    I sat at many church youth retreats watching my friends cry, sing and hug – telling me how the spirit was moving through them.  Me?  I waited patiently for this divine knock your socks off feeling to occur.  Waiting to dance like King David by flinging off my clothes down to my undies (which due to my modesty values would never occur), but nothing ever happened, not even a giddy toe tap.  I also didn’t want to feel left out with this emotional crowd so I’d end up claiming: “Oh yes I feel it.”  And, then I’d wonder: “Is something wrong with me that I don’t feel anything?” or “Why isn’t it happening to me?”

It wasn’t until I began expanding my spirituality toolkit did I fully understand what it means to be “Open to the Spirit.”  I remember it happened during a Baptism ritual, the congregation was asked to remember and honor their connection to the source, Motherfather Spirit.   The minister asked us during a moment of silence to say: “Hey” to the Spirit.  He assured us that the Spirit is present in everyone – those Baptized or not – we were all filled with the spirit; we need to take time out of our busyness to acknowledge our connection.  Baptism was just one ritual recognizing our connection to Motherfather Spirit and an identifiable starting point where our relationship began.  And, for those already Baptized, it’s an opportunity to start afresh if we have forgotten our relationship.

The sermon continued on the theme of being opened to Motherfather Spirit.  What struck me was how I had been lead to believe that those filled with the Spirit acted in an otherworldly state like the descriptions of St. Teresa of Avila or Native American Shamans.  Sure some people had outward behaviors, jumping around or waving their hands showing they were connected, but I found out its more inner, personal and private – each person it being something different.  The minister saw our relationship to Motherfather Spirit crucial to having infinite love, happiness, peace, and laughter in our life.  He equated it to that spark or passion that gets us going expressing our deepest purpose of life (expressing love); and we’d never have to do it alone.  I sat realizing I was already connected and opened to the Spirit.

~#~

“The Wild Woman isn’t a workhorse….The Wild Woman needs aired out.” ~ Z. Budapest

A RECENT DREAM:  My family was being evacuated from our island.  I was deeply upset.  I loved my home with a Maine Vancouver feel.  But, the sirens were blaring and the police were telling us we needed to go: “The fog was coming in.”  I told them I wasn’t afraid of the fog.  My neighbors were in a panic and packing everything they could get into their mini vans and SUVs.  Begrudgingly I grabbed the family heirloom, an oversize glided mirror and loaded this into our Smart car. This was very out of character for me being “Ms. Ohio Preparedness.”  A mirror isn’t on my disaster evacuation list.  Sleeping bags and a tent, YES.  Mirror, No.

Coming back from my Bright Angel Labyrinth experience, I’ve been really focusing and examining my Spiritual Tool Kit to sync my heart, mind and spirit up.  Being at the half-way point of this yearlong blog, I’ve realized I’ve been coasting.  Sure I’ve been doing what I’ve written, but coasting.  The dream to me reinforces this message.  It is my wake-up call for self-reflection. 

I’ve been comfortable with this coasting; it has kept me safe and isolated – thus not wanting to leave my home.  And, by getting too comfortable, I realize the things in my life aren’t as solid as I’d like it.  My joy was kind of flat like day old Ginger Ale with no fizzie.  The mirror urges me to do an honest reflection.  Yes, there are places in my heart that aren’t able to express love because they are filled with other things or past experiences that have left me burnt.  And, if I wanted more love and joy in – I needed to declutter some stuff, get out the polishing cloth, and bless things away.  My messages from Motherfather Spirit – boring…. Yawn… you can do better.  These messages have been going on for a long time and I've been ignoring them.

Z. Budapest would say my “Wild Woman” (or “Wild Man” if you are a man) was bored.  And SARK?  My Succulent Wild Woman - was on the sofa eating too many chocolate creams.  In the meantime - the creative juices have been shrinking.

~#~

I googled “opening spirit pagan.”  I found not much was written.  I tried several other topic searches and laughed when up popped SARK, Z. Budapest and Clarissa Pinkola Estes.  Women who help me begin my Spiritual Quest.  All have written about this connection with spirit and describe it as a place within that is connected to the source.  That inner wise-place that is playful and passionate and joyfully creative.  All three have described our connection with Spirit as having a life filled with peace, love, happiness and laughter.

Another ah-ha moment during this self-reflection was my need to meditate in community.  I’ve been doing it on my own for 7 years and there is something more connected when you meditate in community.  I signed-up for the 21 day meditation challenge with Deepak Chopra – another person who laid a stone on my spiritual journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi all - I really like your comments, but have had a change of heart regarding anonymous comments. My CCWWW beliefs are that you need to stand behind what you say and what you do. Peace out.