Monday, December 3, 2012

Xena: A Path to Queendom

“Every man gives his life for what he believes ... one life is all we have to live and we live it according to what we believe.” ― Joan of Arc

“Though the sex to which I belong is considered weak you will nevertheless find me a rock that bends to no wind.” – Elizabeth I, Queen of England

"Xena is this warrior. She goes around saving people and righting wrongs. It's all pretty sappy, but she seems to get her kicks out of it."-Autolycus, Xena: Warrior Princess


During the Nineties, I watched several episodes of Xena: The Warrior Princess (1995-2001).  Finally, there was a female hero narrative that pushed the limits of Linda Carter’s Wonder Woman (1975-1979).  Xena was smart, sexy, strong, independent and opposite of the original Disney three.  She didn’t tolerate “power-over” (Starhawk) structure that the Disney Princesses existed as they waited for their Princes to save them.  Xena was a social changer and redefined what women could do.  Xena relied on her own skills to get out of obstacles. 

I think one of the reasons that I didn’t stick with the show was the warrior aspect.  I wasn’t into waving a sword after my experience with the “go-go purse.”  It wasn’t that I wouldn’t defend myself physically, but it didn’t fit me.  I felt a calling more like Morgana in Marion Zimmer Bradley -The Mists of Avalon.  I was more of a negotiator and interested in changing energy from snarky to love - or composing a letter that was addressing social justice and pressing send.  I also wanted a real role model – flesh and blood not fiction.  I wanted someone real who’d guide me into becoming a Queen with either path I chose.

~#~

According to Joseph Campbell there are two ways a woman can become Queen.  You can take the path of Faerie/Amazon (Xena) or Wise One/Medial (Morgana).  Either path, a Queen still begins life as a Princess (Hernández, 51).  Either path, there is a requirement for training based on trials, tests, successes, and failures.  Either path requires perseverance to grow.   To become a Queen is hard work.
~#~
~#~
My first psychic reading I was in my late twenties.  The woman asked me if I had seen Fields of Dreams (1989).  I shook my head yes.  "Well," she said, "remember that scene where the wife (Amy Madigan) gets up in the PTO meeting and defends the book that some parents want to ban."  I shook my head yes some more.  "That's you."

I must have had my "Yea Right" look.  Because she tells me this is how I will be in my forties.  I will grow into this type of person. She felt this was how I go around righting wrong with the world.  I wouldn't do it with a sword but with a pen and my voice.

I wasn't convinced.  I hated to get up in front of people.  This was why I chose policy work in public health rather than being in front of the classroom teaching.  The thought of standing up in front of people made me feel like I was going to throw-up and made my hands feel cold and sweaty.  I could barely read off index cards without 1) sounding laughable like the speed turned up on a record player or 2) lose my place on the index card and repeat the line over several times or 3) start to see blue dots in my peripheral vision. 

She then told me I needed to work on my throat chakra.  She made a recommendation that I should sing in the shower and take a public speaking course.  My throat chakra was pretty weak from how she saw it.

Then she asks:  "Do you write poetry?  I think you should write some haikus."  I didn't know where she was going with this.  "You could do poetry readings and haikus were short and sweet."  She then shared with me two places to read.

~#~

Developing excellent communication skills is absolutely essential to effective leadership.  The leader must be able to share knowledge and ideas to transmit a sense of urgency and enthusiasm to others.  If a leader can't get the message across clearly to motivate others to act on it then having a message doesn't even matter." ~ Gilvert Amelio




~#~
If you don't know much about the throat chakra - it is considered the center of communication.  It isn't just about talking and listening, but how you are able to express yourself in a physical and creative sense (e.g., art, music, writing, or dance).  The throat chakra is thought to be one of our emotional centers.  You know when you get a "lump in your throat" when you are sad - you are experiencing your throat chakra in action.  The throat chakra is also where we speak the truth and take responsibility for our words. 

A balanced throat chakra is an essential quality needed in a strong leader.  A strong throat chakra helps a leader get the message across through both words and non verbal skills.  A strong throat chakra can persuade and arouse the emotions in others - empowering them to join in getting the task done.  A strong throat chakra can help a leader remain fair and impartial and open to hear other ways to solve problems.  A strong throat chakra makes a leader comfortable sharing information and talk decisions through.

~#~
Pinpointing why there was a weakness in my throat chakra had to do with how I was raised.  I was told a child is seen not heard.  Growing-up my opinions were not valued due to my age.  Additionally, I was told if you didn't have something nice to say - don't say it.  So when it came to speaking out about something that was wrong - I was in conflict with how I was raised.  It took hard work to wear these beliefs down.
As I said before - becoming a Queen is hard work.
~#~

Tools to help strengthen you throat chakra
Wearing a turquoise gem stone
Wearing blue
Color, knit, paint, play the piano - do something that expresses how you feel
Sing along with the radio
Practice reading poetry out loud

2 comments:

  1. How absolutely right you are that it takes hard work to overcome that which you were raised with...I too was told the same things. It wasn't until I was in my forties and becoming a Reiki Master/Teacher that I began wearing turquoise around my throat chakra, that I began to 'come into' my real voice. It's been a while since I've done that and this sharing by you today, has made me realize I need to do it once more.
    I thank you for sharing! :)
    In Deep Peace,
    Akasa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen - I still continue to work at wearing down the old values. Hopefully when it is my time to go - I will be well balanced in my throat chakra area.

      Working a day at a time.
      Homelight

      Delete

Hi all - I really like your comments, but have had a change of heart regarding anonymous comments. My CCWWW beliefs are that you need to stand behind what you say and what you do. Peace out.